Juicy hot dogs wrapped in crisp bacon then topped with zesty pico, avocados and a drizzle of mayo. You’ll never want a plain hot dog again!
Sonoran Hot Dogs
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper
- 6 all-beef hotdogs
- 6 strips of bacon, not thick cut
- 1 can pinto beans in chili sauce
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 Tbsp. milk
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Make pico de gallo: Combined chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, minced jalapeno, chopped cilantro and lime juice in a small bowl. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Wrap each hot dog in a strip of bacon, tucking the ends of the bacon onto the wrap to secure, or secure with a toothpick.
- Put bacon-wrapped dogs on the grill and grill, turning occasionally, until bacon is cooked on all sides.
- While hot dogs are cooking, heat beans in a heat-safe pot on the grill.
- Wrap buns in foil and add to top grill rack to warm.
- To serve: Use a slotted spoon to serve beans, allowing sauce to strain out. Place the spoonful of beans in bottom of bun, add hot dog and top with a spoonful of pico de gallo and a spoonful of avocado pieces.
- Thin mayonnaise with a little milk until it is of drizzling consistency, then drizzle each prepared hot dog with mayonnaise.
About the Author: Kampgrounds of America
Kampgrounds of America is the largest system of open-to-the-public campgrounds in the world, with over 500 locations across the United States and Canada. Founded in Billings, MT in 1962, KOA’s family of campground brands – KOA Journey, KOA Holiday and KOA Resort – today serve more than a million camping families each year. KOA is dedicated to “connecting people to the outdoors and each other” by providing people with a variety of camping experiences and the information they need to make the most of their camping trip. Read more of their camping and travel resources by visiting KOA.com/blog.