Crunchy, chewy, salty, sweet and packed with delicious flavor! This updated take on rice krispy treats is perfect for camping, too!
Salty Sweet Brown Butter Rice Krispy Treats
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- 2 cups crushed mini pretzel twists
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 16 ounces mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup peanut butter chips
- ¾ semi sweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. flaked sea salt for sprinkling, optional
- Pour crisp rice and pretzels into a large, greased bowl.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Continue cooking until butter foams and begins to brown and smell nutty.
- Turn off heat and add marshmallows in two batches, stirring until fully melted and smooth. (You may need to turn heat back on low to fully melt marshmallows)
- Stir in vanilla and salt and pour marshmallow mixture over the crisp rice and pretzels and stir to combine.
- Add peanut butter and chocolate chips and stir until incorporated.
About the Author: Kampgrounds of America
Kampgrounds of America is the largest system of open-to-the-public campgrounds in the world, with over 500 locations across the United States and Canada. Founded in Billings, MT in 1962, KOA’s family of campground brands – KOA Journey, KOA Holiday and KOA Resort – today serve more than a million camping families each year. KOA is dedicated to “connecting people to the outdoors and each other” by providing people with a variety of camping experiences and the information they need to make the most of their camping trip. Read more of their camping and travel resources by visiting KOA.com/blog.