Learn to make a KOA camping recipe favorite – Backwoods Chili Rice Skillet
KOA campers agree, this tasty combination of chili and rice makes the perfect campfire dinner. Our Backwoods Chili Rice Skillet is a fan favorite from our digital recipe box of KOA.com camping recipes. that’s quick, easy and totally yummy! Watch the video below and learn to make this crowd-pleasing chili rice skillet for your next campground cookout.
- 1 lb. ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 packet chili seasoning mix
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, drained
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups instant rice
- 3 cups water
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar or Monterey jack cheese
Brown ground beef in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Add onions and green pepper and cook until veggies are soft. Drain fat, if needed. Add seasonings, beans, tomatoes, rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes until rice is soft. Dish into bowls and sprinkle with cheese. Serves 8-10.