Dutch Oven Barbecue Ribs, Beans and Biscuits
- 2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 pounds boneless country-style boneless pork spare ribs
- 4, 55 oz. cans original baked beans
- 1, 28 oz. bottle barbecue sauce
- 2, 16.3 oz cans big buttermilk refrigerator biscuits
- 12 inch Dutch oven
- 24 hot charcoal briquettes or a large covered baking dish if using a conventional oven
- Prepare the briquettes or preheat a conventional oven to 350 degrees F. Place the Dutch oven over 10 hot briquettes or heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and stir while cooking until translucent. Add the spare ribs and continue searing in the hot oil for 8-10 minutes, turning frequently until browned and almost cooked through.
- Drain the excess oil and grease. If not using a Dutch oven, transfer the ribs and onions to the baking dish. Add the baked beans and the barbecue sauce and stir to mix. Place the lid on the Dutch oven and arrange 14 hot briquettes on the lid. If cooking in a conventional oven, place the covered baking dish in the oven. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the beans are bubbling hot.
- Remove the lid and cover the ribs and beans with a single layer of big buttermilk, refrigerator biscuits. If using a Dutch oven, replace the lid and continue to cook 12-15 minutes until the biscuits are golden. If using a conventional oven, leave the lid off of the baking dish and bake for 10-12 minutes. For thicker sauce and beans, drain off excess liquid before adding the biscuits to the top.