Southwest Sloppy Joes & Spicy Slaw
Make southwest sloppy joes and spicy slaw.
Southwest Sloppy Joes Ingredients
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 ½ lbs. ground beef
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1 (10 oz.) can tomatoes & chilies
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- ½ cup salsa
- salt and pepper
- To serve:
- Spicy Slaw (recipe below)
- hamburger buns
- chopped bell peppers
- sliced avocado
- shredded cheese
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, celery and ground beef and cook until meat has browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened.
- To serve, grill hamburger buns, top with Sloppy Joe mixture followed by slaw, chopped bell peppers, avocado and shredded cheese.
Spicy Slaw Ingredients
- 1 (14 oz.) bag coleslaw mix
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, optional
- 1-2 chipotles in adobo, chopped
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Add coleslaw mix to a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together chipotles, onion, brown sugar, yogurt and lime juice.
- Toss with slaw. Let sit for at least 30 minutes for flavors to develop.