Amp up your standard brownies with a few energy inducing mix-ins. Try our yummy brownies perfect for taking on the road.
Peanut Butter Trail Brownies
- 1 (18 oz.) box brownie mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- 1/2 cup salted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8” pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl stir together brownie mix, egg, vegetable oil, and water until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine peanut butter, powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Spread half of the brownie batter in the prepared pan.
- Place the peanut butter mixture on a piece of parchment paper, top with another piece of parchment, and roll out until you have a square that is roughly the size of the baking pan.
- Place the peanut butter layer on top of the brownie batter and top with the remaining brownie batter, spreading to cover. Sprinkle with peanut butter chips and salted peanuts.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan and a tester inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs – the center may still appear underdone but will firm up as the brownies cool.
- Cool completely, then cut, wrap individually, and freeze for the trail! (If they last that long…)
About the Author: Kampgrounds of America
Kampgrounds of America is the largest system of open-to-the-public campgrounds in the world, with over 500 locations across the United States and Canada. Founded in Billings, MT in 1962, KOA’s family of campground brands – KOA Journey, KOA Holiday and KOA Resort – today serve more than a million camping families each year. KOA is dedicated to “connecting people to the outdoors and each other” by providing people with a variety of camping experiences and the information they need to make the most of their camping trip. Read more of their camping and travel resources by visiting KOA.com/blog.