Have you tried Greek halloumi cheese? Sort of like a combination of mozzarella and feta, this sturdy cheese is ideal for grilling. Grill up some halloumi ad try this tasty salad!
Grilled Halloumi Salad
- 1 large avocado
- 4 slices rustic bread
- 1 8 oz. pkg halloumi cheese, cut into ¼-inch slices
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 6 cups mixed greens
- ½ English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup kalamata olives, halved
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of one small lemon (2 Tbsp.)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped mint
- 1 Tbsp. chopped basil
- Clean and oil grill grates and preheat grill to medium high.
- Slice cheese and bread and halve and pit avocado. Brush one side of each with olive oil.
- Place oil side down on the hot grill and brush top sides of bread and cheese with olive oil.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes per side, or until sear marks appear.
- Arrange mixed greens on a platter and top with cucumber, tomatoes and olives.
- Combine dressing ingredients in a lidded jar and shake until emulsified.
- Slice avocado and cut bread into crouton-sized pieces.
- Arrange grilled halloumi, bread and avocados on salad, top with dressing and gently toss.
- Serves 6.
About the Author: Kampgrounds of America
Kampgrounds of America is the largest system of open-to-the-public campgrounds in the world, with over 500 locations across the United States and Canada. Founded in Billings, MT in 1962, KOA’s family of campground brands – KOA Journey, KOA Holiday and KOA Resort – today serve more than a million camping families each year. KOA is dedicated to “connecting people to the outdoors and each other” by providing people with a variety of camping experiences and the information they need to make the most of their camping trip. Read more of their camping and travel resources by visiting KOA.com/blog.