Cast Iron Chili and Cornbread
Cook up your whole meal in one pan with this easy camping recipe – cast iron chili and cornbread. Spicy chili and cheesy cornbread? Yes, please!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 (14.5oz) cans diced, fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1-2 (15 oz.)) cans pinto or kidney beans, drained
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 bottle beer
- 2 (8.5oz) boxes cornbread mix (such as Jiffy)
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (7 oz.) can green chilies, drained
- Place a large cast iron Dutch oven over coals. Add olive oil, beef, onions, celery, pepper and garlic and cook until veggies are soft and meat is cooked through.
- Add spices, tomatoes, beans, tomato paste and beer and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together cornbread mix, eggs and milk until combined. Stir in cheese and chilies. Spoon on top of chili and spread to cover.
- Place lid on pan and place in the coals, topping the lid with more hot coals. Bake for 10-20 minutes, (depending on the heat of your coals), until a knife inserted in center of cornbread comes out clean.