If you’re looking for comfort food, this recipe is it! Try our take on classic chicken and dumplings.
Cast Iron Chicken & Dumplings
- ½ cup butter
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 11/2 -2 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped or shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 (16 oz) can homestyle buttermilk biscuits
- Preheat grill to medium heat. In a small saucepan, melt butter and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Place a cast-iron Dutch oven or deep skillet on the grill. Add the frozen mixed veggies and cook until thawed. Add vegetable soup and 1 ½ cups chicken broth, thyme, sage, salt, and pepper. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Add chicken.
- Open biscuits and cut each one into fourths. Add to a bowl with the garlic butter and toss to coat. Arrange on the top of the chicken mixture.
- Close grill and cook over medium-high indirect heat (375°F) for about 30 minutes, until the tops of biscuits are starting to brown, and the mixture is bubbling. Serves 6-8
About the Author: Kampgrounds of America
Kampgrounds of America is the largest system of open-to-the-public campgrounds in the world, with over 500 locations across the United States and Canada. Founded in Billings, MT in 1962, KOA’s family of campground brands – KOA Journey, KOA Holiday and KOA Resort – today serve more than a million camping families each year. KOA is dedicated to “connecting people to the outdoors and each other” by providing people with a variety of camping experiences and the information they need to make the most of their camping trip. Read more of their camping and travel resources by visiting KOA.com/blog.