Make cheese fondue right at your campsite with this tasty – and super easy – recipe.
Camping Cheese Fondue
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 11/2 cups + 3 Tbsp. dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 lb. shredded Swiss or Cheddar
- 1/2 lb. shredded Gruyere
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Dippers – French bread, cooked sausage, cherry tomatoes, apple or pear slices, steamed veggies – broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, new potatoes, etc.
- Rub cast iron Dutch oven with garlic cloves and discard garlic. Add 1 1/12 cups wine or broth to pan and bring to a simmer on a grate over coals, campfire or grill.
- Slowly add cheese, stirring often, until cheese has melted. Combine remaining 3 Tbsp. wine or broth with cornstarch and mix well. Add to cheese mixture and stir until fondue is thick and smooth. Remove from heat and dip! (Note: The heated cast iron will keep the fondue warm as you dip, but you can return to the heat if the cheese gets too thick.)