This recipe from cast iron experts, Lodge Cast Iron, is sure to become a camping trip favorite. Making use of a traditional Dutch oven, these tasty biscuits are a perfect accompaniment for any meal. Cover them in gravy, top with butter and jam or pair them with a hearty bowl of your favorite chili.
- ½ cup butter
- 2 ½ tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup club soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups Bisquick™ biscuit mix
- ¼ cup melted butter (for top of biscuits)
- Grease and heat a 12 inch Lodge Dutch oven with 8 coals on the bottom and 17 coals on the top.
- Combine all ingredients. Knead the dough by hand until smooth. Pat the dough flat to ¾ inch thickness on waxed paper and punch out biscuits with a biscuit cutter.
- Place biscuits on the bottom of the hot Dutch oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Rotate the oven and lid often to prevent burn spots. Remember, these will bake from the top down.
- Remove from heat ant brush golden biscuits with ¼ cup melted butter.
Since 1896, Lodge has been creating quality cast iron products in Pittsburg, Tennessee. What might seem as humble beginnings has lead to the company becoming a leader in the kitchenware industry. Known in homes and kitchens around the world, Lodge continues to innovate and create new products for home cooks and professionals alike.