Make noodles the easy way with this adaptable ramen recipe that’s perfect for camping.
- 2 packages ramen noodles
- 1/2 cup dried mushrooms, chopped
- 10 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onion
- Red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cup teriyaki
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Place one package of ramen in the center of two 18 inch squares of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Stack these ingredients on top of the noodles in this order: mushrooms, shrimp, onions, green onions and red pepper flakes.
- Pull the sides and corners of the aluminum foil upwards to form a small basket, leaving an opening at the top to pour liquid.
- In a bowl, combine vegetable broth, teriyaki and oil. Distribute liquid evenly between both packs. Press foil together, leaving a small opening to allow steam to excape.
- Place on grill, campfire or in a 400 degrees F oven for 15-20 minutes or until noodles are soft. Serve immediately. Makes two servings.
Customize This Recipe By Changing the Ingredients
Meats: (choose one in place of shrimp) beef, pork, chicken, fish, etc.
Vegetables: peppers, broccoli, bokchoy, snowpeas, artichoke, tomatoes, etc.
Starch: (choose one in place of ramen) rice, potatoes, couscous, dumplings, etc.
Aromatic: (choose two in place of onions and green onions) garlic, scallions, celery, carrot, fennel, etc.
Seasoning: (get creative, anything goes) coriander, cilantro, basil, parsley, salt, lemon, etc.
Liquid: (feel free to use a heavy hand with liquids) soy sauce, chicken stock, steak marinade, Mirin, white/red wine, etc.
Note: substituting ingredients – especially starches – may require adjustments to cooking time.
Camping plate courtesy of Camp Casual.