Looking for a quick and easy camping recipe? Camp Calzones are an easy, crow-pleasing recipe that every camper is sure to enjoy. If you’ve got picky eaters, this recipe is also easily customizable making everyone a happy camper.
- 1 (10 to 12-inch) flour tortilla (burrito size)
- 1 (4.5-inch) flour tortilla (street taco size)
- 1/3 cup ricotta
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce, plus more for serving
- ½ cup assorted toppings (pepperoni, sliced olives, bell peppers, mushrooms, sausage, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- Preheat grill to medium, 350°F. Place a cast-iron skillet on the grill.
- Place the large tortilla on your work surface and spread ricotta in a circle. Top with marinara sauce, followed by topping, parmesan, mozzarella and fresh basil.
- Place the smaller tortilla on top of the basil and fold the edges of the larger tortilla to meet the small tortilla.
- Add a tablespoon of oil to the preheated cast-iron skillet. Add the calzone, folded side down, and cook until golden brown, 2-5 minutes. Carefully flip the calzone and cook the other side for an additional 2-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and serve with additional marinara.
- Serves one. Duplicate this recipe for additional calzones.
About the Author: Kampgrounds of America
Kampgrounds of America is the largest system of open-to-the-public campgrounds in the world, with over 500 locations across the United States and Canada. Founded in Billings, MT in 1962, KOA’s family of campground brands – KOA Journey, KOA Holiday and KOA Resort – today serve more than a million camping families each year. KOA is dedicated to “connecting people to the outdoors and each other” by providing people with a variety of camping experiences and the information they need to make the most of their camping trip. Read more of their camping and travel resources by visiting KOA.com/blog.