Pet-Friendly Activities in Angola, IN
When you have a dog, they are members of the family, too. That means if you go on vacation, it is more fun when you can bring your pup with you.
Traveling with your dog can take a bit more planning and preparation than it would to travel with just humans, but for most dog-lovers, it is absolutely worth packing an extra bag and doing a bit of research.
If you are traveling to Angola, Indiana, you are in luck. This guide will introduce you to some of the most popular pet-friendly sites in the area so that you can plan a vacation both you can your pup can enjoy.
Tips for Traveling With Pets
Aside from looking into pet-friendly things to do in Angola, you will want to ensure your dog is ready to go. For some, this means taking your pet to the vet for a check-up and visiting the groomer so that long nails and fur are not an issue during the journey. Other things you can do include:
- Pack prepared: Make sure you have everything your dog might need while you are away from home. This includes medications, foods and treats they prefer, toys, leashes, bedding and bags to clean up after them.
- Stay up to date: If there are any vaccinations your pet needs, get them before you travel. Also, make sure they are protected against ticks and fleas before taking them to the great outdoors. You might consider bringing their medical records along in case of an emergency.
- Keep your pet's collar on: Although places like Kampgrounds of America have specified off-leash areas, ensure your dog has their collar on at all times. Their collar should have tags including their rabies vaccination, license and your contact information in case you are separated.
- Take precautions: Protect your pet from obvious dangers, like campfires. After taking them on a hike, check them over for bugs and debris. Make sure they have access to water at any time and watch temperatures, especially in the summer and winter.
Dog-Friendly Things to Do in Angola
When planning your trip to Angola, be sure to add a few of these fun locations to your travel itinerary:
- Pokagon State Park: You and your dog can enjoy nine trails and two lakes at the pet-friendly Pokagon State Park. Traverse through the forest and swampland however you please, then cool off by taking a dip or enjoying some afternoon fishing and boating.
- Steuben County Park: Have some leashed fun with your dog from dawn to dusk any day you please. With Crooked Lake nearby, you and your pet will love the gorgeous views and sprawling land all day long.
- Love's Travel Stop: For something a little more social, check out the fenced-in dog park at Love's Travel Stop. You can also exchange propane tanks, get Wi-Fi access and take a quick break before getting back on the road.
- Great Lakes Chocolate & Coffee Co.: If you need a pick-me-up after spending a morning exploring with your dog, try this coffee shop with outdoor seating and pup cups for your pal.
- Sunset Slush: Does the summer sun have you craving something cool? Try some premium Italian ice at Sunset Slush. They have a wide variety of flavors, all free of dairy, fat, gluten and cholesterol.
Here are a few additional places around Angola that may be worth checking out with your pooch:
- Mid-America Windmill Museum: From April to November, you can take a trip to nearby Kendallville to learn about the history of wind power in the United States. The exhibit has both inside and outside areas, and dogs are allowed everywhere.
- Auburn Garrett Drive-In: Catch a movie and let your dog experience the big screen. You are welcome to bring your pet to this Garrett area favorite. Similar to the Windmill Museum, this theater is only open part of the year, from April through October.
Your Dog Is Welcome at Kampgrounds of America
When you plan a vacation full of so many fun adventures, you will want to find a good place to rest up in between. At Angola/Hogback Lake KOA Holiday, you can choose to stay in your RV, in a tent or in one of our Camping Cabins or Deluxe Cabins — please note that the cabins do require an additional fee to allow your pets in.
The safety of guests and loved ones is one of our top priorities. We have done everything we can to ensure the safety of your pets, including enforced speed limits and clearly labeled on- and off-leash areas. However you choose to stay with us, we have plenty to do to keep your dog entertained. Along with local hiking trails and fishing holes for you to explore together, we have a few locations on-site tailored just for your pets.
At Angola/Hogback Lake KOA Holiday, you will find an amazing dog park right on the premises. KampK9 is a place where you can bring your dog to exercise off-leash and socialize with new pups.
This fenced-in area is accessible to all our dogs, and you can meet like-minded owners traveling from all around while your pup plays. KampK9 also offers complimentary cleanup stations and fresh water so your furry friend can stay clean and hydrated while playing with all of their new friends.
Private Pet Enclosures
If you choose to stay in one of our Pull-Thru or Back-In RV Sites, you could also have a fenced-in pet area right on your site. Let your pup be off-leash in these large enclosed areas. The luscious grassy patch is perfect for running, playing and resting. It is better on the dogs than hard patio concrete and does not change temperatures so drastically. You can also avoid any run-ins with other dogs if your pets are shy or overly excitable.
Other amenities for these sites include a propane grill and comfortable outdoor furniture so you can continue to spend time with your dog outside.
Book Your Spot at Angola/Hogback Lake KOA Holiday
You deserve a vacation, and so does your dog. Bring them along wherever your trip to Angola takes you when you book your stay at Angola/Hogback Lake KOA Holiday. Make your reservation today so you both can enjoy all the great amenities we have to offer!