Surfing in Virginia Beach
Surfing in Virginia Beach Guide
Surfing in Virginia Beach is ideal whether you are a novice, middling or advanced. The region is fragmented by jetties, piers and inlets, which is why surfing is perfect for all skill levels. The surfing culture is also super and accepting of visitors.
Virginia Beach is the East Coast's birthplace of surfing, with an over century-long history and various locally and internationally renowned competitions. The culture, the waves and the atmosphere make it the ideal surfing destination.
Best Surfing Spots in Virginia Beach
If you are looking for the best Virginia Beach surf spots, this is the list for you:
- Virginia Beach Pier: The north and south ends of Virginia Beach Pier are popular surf spots. The natural reef allows the waves to curl up for surfing fun.
- 1st Street Jetty: This prominent surfing spot is known for being one of the best spots to surf on the East Coast. The reef helps build the waves and provides a thrilling ride when swells and wind conditions are perfect.
- Camp Pendleton: South of Croatan is a little-known, local surf spot. The surfing area is vast, so there is plenty of space for you to pick your sets if you are a more advanced surfer.
Surf Lessons and Camps
You can join surf lessons and camps suitable for novice to advanced. Top Virginia Beach surf schools include:
- VB Surf Sessions: This school offers lessons and camps perfect for beginners. You will learn proper techniques as well as terminology and other information.
- Seth Broudy School of Surf: Seth Broudy is an experienced surfer, offering beginner to advanced classes and camps for ages six and up.
- Pungo Board House: Instructors with 17-plus years of experience run the weekly camps. You will learn to catch waves, paddle and have fun in the water.
- Wave Riding Vehicles: The surf shop comprises a team of highly-qualified, CPR-certified surf instructors who offer surf camps and private lessons for up to four students.
- Surf and Adventure Co.: Book private or group lessons or attend the camps where you will learn all you need to know about surfing.
The East Coast Surfing Championship (ECSC)
An absolute must-attend event for any surfing enthusiast is the Coastal Edge ECSC. The championship is the longest-running contest in the world! For more than 60 years, hundreds of surfers have entered this Virginia Beach competition to battle for titles, prizes and pure surfing pleasure.
The event is free to attend. You can expect spectacular board techniques, international surf museum displays, international vendors, unique culinary experiences and live entertainment. The 2023 competition is scheduled for August 20-27 at 1st Street Jetty to 9th Street, Virginia Beach.
Book Your Virginia Beach Surfing Adventure
You will find many Pull-Thru and Back-In RV Sites to choose from. Additionally, our Deluxe Cabins and Camping Cabins are perfect for family stays, each having unique amenities to suit your needs. For an under-the-stars, traditional camping experience, stay at one of our Tent Sites, and extended stays are also welcome.
Plan your adventure — book your stay today!