How to Prep for a Vacation to Seward, Alaska
Seward, Alaska, is a beautiful coastal town at the mouth of Resurrection Bay. In the surrounding area, you can enjoy scenic hiking, and inside the city, you can relax in a quaint downtown atmosphere with proximity to many attractions. If you are considering a vacation to Alaska, Seward is a great destination. Read on to learn more about planning your trip.
What to Know About Seward, Alaska
Seward is a beautiful place to visit, offering proximity to national and state parks and many recreational activities to enjoy. Here are some things to know before you visit this area.
Since Seward sits in the southern part of Alaska, you can enjoy cool but comfortable temperatures in the summer, ranging from 50 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit. During the winter, temperatures rarely exceed freezing, so the best time to visit Seward, Alaska, is the summer, especially in June and July.
The outdoor enthusiast can stay busy in Seward with kayaking, hiking, fishing, whale watching and glaciers at Kenai Fjords National Park and Caines Head State Recreation Area. You can also explore the quaint downtown or take boat or helicopter tours of the area. If you are looking for opportunities to spend time outdoors considering hiking trails like Mount Marathon or see the most of the Alaskan outdoors by dog sledding or a day cruise!
Traveling to Seward, Alaska, can take many forms. Many cruises start and end in Seward, so coming by water is an option. You can also drive to Seward, but you must pass through Canada, so ensure you bring your passport. If you want to travel by plane or train, you can fly into Anchorage and then either drive or use the Alaska Railroad the comes directly into Seward and travels daily in the summertime.
Dining and Supplies
Downtown Seward has all the necessities you need during your trip. There are many restaurants in the area, and you can also pick up supplies at local stores and gas stations.
What to Pack for Seward, Alaska
If you are unsure what to pack, here is a guide to ensure you are prepared for your vacation to Seward:
- Clothing: Pack casual clothes and layers, including t-shirts, sweatshirts, a light jacket and a rain jacket with jeans or hiking pants. Layers are essential to ensure you are comfortable throughout the day. If looking to visit hiking trails be sure to bring all the essentials.
- Footwear: Comfortable shoes are your best option. If you plan to hike a lot, bring hiking boots (especially if visiting Mount Marathon). Otherwise, sneakers might be sufficient.
- Sun protection: Alaska has between 18 and 24 hours of sunlight during the summer, so bring sunglasses and sunscreen to protect yourself. This is very important if you plan on going out onto the water for fishing or a day cruise.
- Daypack: Bring a smaller backpack apart from your luggage that you can use to store your phone, extra layers, snacks and more when you venture out.
- Outdoor supplies: Bring a water bottle, bear spray, insect repellent and a first aid kit to ensure you are ready for the outdoors.
- Sleep mask: Since it is light almost all the time, a sleep mask can make it easier to sleep at night.
- Essential documents: Make sure you have your ID or passport and take a fishing license if you plan to fish while here.
Book Your Stay at Seward KOA Journey
Seward KOA Journey can ensure your trip to Alaska is comfortable and stress-free. This KOA location has propane, firewood, a coffee cart, a camp store, hot showers and laundry facilities to help keep you clean and comfortable after a day of exploring. Browse our RV Sites, lodging options and premium tent pads and book your stay today.