Riding the Waves in Santa Cruz
When you think of Santa Cruz, you likely think of sunshine, beaches and surfing. Dubbed by many as Surf City, Santa Cruz is undoubtedly one of the most incredible places to surf on Earth. When planning your next beach camping trip at Santa Cruz / Monterey Bay KOA Holiday, you will want to know where and how to surf before riding the waves in Santa Cruz.
The Best Santa Cruz Surf Spots
These are our top picks for the most superb Santa Cruz surf spots:
- Cowell Beach: Just north of the Wharf is the popular Cowell Beach, a longboard favorite offering waves suited to surfers of any skill level.
- Pleasure Point: Further east is Pleasure Point, where locals and visitors come to watch seasoned surfers perform awe-inspiring tricks, and beginners have several options with less aggressive swells.
- Steamer Lane: To the south of the Wharf is the renowned and beloved Steamer Lane, hailed for its right point break and sometimes unpredictable waves. It is ideal for more experienced surfers.
First-Class Santa Cruz Surf Schools
These are just a few of the best surf schools you could try when you visit Santa Cruz:
- Surf School Santa Cruz: Started by a group of passionate surfers, this school is highly rated and offers lessons for individuals of any age or skill level at Pleasure Point and Cowell Beach, including one-on-one sessions with professional surfer Bud Freitas.
- Club Ed: Operating from four beaches in Santa Cruz, Club Ed offers private, semi-private, open group and private group lessons for beginners and experts.
- Richard Schmidt Surf School: Opened in 1978 by legendary surfer Richard Schmidt, this Santa Cruz surfing school guarantees that beginners will ride their surfboards standing upright by the end of their first lesson.
Top Surfing Tips for Beginners
Before heading out for a surf, make sure you have the following essential items:
- A bottle of water
- A wetsuit
- A wetsuit changing mat
- A poncho for changing
If you do not have a surfboard, you can usually rent a board from your chosen surf school or one of the local surf shops. Also, keep in mind that the Santa Cruz surf can be aggressive in winter, so beginners should be cautious.
Enjoy Your Next Santa Cruz Surfing Getaway With a Stay at Santa Cruz / Monterey Bay KOA Holiday
Close to Monterey Bay, Santa Cruz / Monterey Bay KOA Holiday provides the ideal campground for you and your family when visiting Santa Cruz. Our oceanfront camping experience offers Deluxe Cabins, RV Sites, Tent Sites and more, with a wide array of recreational activities for the whole family to enjoy. Embrace the surf and sand in this idyllic location by booking your campsite now!