S'MORES! THE AMERICAN CLASSIC!
When we think of S’mores, we instantly think of camping, campfires, grilling out, and enjoying a much-needed, relaxing time with our family and new-found friends. Did you know that it is thought that S’mores came by its name from the frequent requests for “some more” whenever they were made?
Even though there is no “right” way to make S’mores, we thought it would be fun to include some non-traditional recipes for this campfire favorite. But first, let’s start with how to make the traditional Campfire Smores…
Graham crackers broken into squares
Hershey’s milk chocolate, broken into sizes that fit your graham cracker square
Long skewers (for roasting marshmallows)
Campfire or fire pit
- Take one large graham cracker and break it in half along the middle scoring (one for the top cracker and one for the bottom cracker).
- Unwrap the chocolate bar and break into smaller pieces. Cover one graham cracker square with enough chocolate to fit your cracker.
- Put a marshmallow (or two) on the end of your skewer and hold it slightly above the fire and slowly turn the skewer for toasted perfection…or if you prefer the burnt option, place your marshmallow right in the fire and light it up.
- When your marshmallow is roasted to your liking, remove from the fire, and lay your marshmallow on one side of your prepared cracker. Now take the top cracker and lay on top of the marshmallow and pinch firmly while sliding out the skewer.
- Let your ooey, gooey, deliciousness sit for a minute to let the chocolate melt, then dig in! Be careful though…that marshmallow will be HOT!
Now that we have the basics of how to make Campfire S’mores, try one, two, or all of these fun new versions of the old-time classic!
CANDIED BACON S’MORES
Follow the same recipe but add this yummy candied bacon; the recipe for bacon follows:
Coat some strips of bacon with brown sugar, place on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet, and bake in a 375 – 400°F oven for about 15-25 minutes, until the bacon is crispy. Transfer to some paper towels to cool, and voila… candied bacon.
COOKIE BUTTER S’MORES or NUTELLA S’MORES
Instead of Hershey’s chocolate, spread a heaping tablespoon of Biscoff Cookie Butter or Nutella on your graham cracker…YUMMY!
ROASTED BERRY S’MORES
1 quart of fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
1 pint of fresh blueberries
1 pint of fresh raspberries
1/3 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp. of a vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon cardamom (or use cinnamon and nutmeg)
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large bowl, toss together berries, sugar, vanilla, and cardamom. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until the fruit is soft and tender. Allow cooling.
Drizzle berry mixture over your classic S’more for a sweet, fruity, crunchy treat!