Top 10 Things To Do in Barrie, Ontario
Barrie is the perfect travel destination if you and your family are searching for a cozy yet exciting Ontario getaway. There is no shortage of outdoor fun and memorable stops in and around this peaceful city. Take a look at the following fun activities to do in Barrie this summer.
1. Visit Barrie Centennial Park
One of the best free things to do in Barrie is stroll through Barrie Centennial Park. This waterfront destination is perfect for a quiet evening exploring the shores of Kempenfelt Bay. Children can play on the interactive playground while parents enjoy a beautiful view of the aquatic life only a few feet from the park.
2. Dive Into Georgian Bay
Snorkeling and scuba diving are great summer activities in Barrie right on the Georgian Bay. This shallow 30-foot water region is perfect for explorers who want to catch a glimpse of the sunken J.C. Morrison ship. Start with a short shore dive before swimming about 10 minutes from land to reach the underwater wreck. Talk about unforgettable sights!
3. Sip and Relax at Heritage Estate Winery & Cidery
Nothing says summer getaway quite like a relaxing wine tasting. The beautiful 40-acre orchard surrounds the farmhouse, winery and cidery facilities where you can get a taste of locally grown fruits. Wines, ciders and sangrias are available for purchase in the Heritage Estate retail store. You can also explore the estate grounds with a guided wine tour during your visit.
4. Find Souvenirs at the Barrie Farmers Market
Take home a slice of Barrie when you visit the Barrie Farmers Market. On Saturday mornings, you can find locally produced baked goods, wine, crafts, desserts and gifts. Take some time to talk to the vendors who live in and around Barrie — they may even let you in on the best places to visit during your trip.
5. Feel the Rhythm at the Georgian Theatre
If you and your family enjoy the arts, the Georgian Theatre offers numerous unforgettable shows year-round. This summer, catch breathtaking performances by Kreative Dance Company and All That's Dance & More. You can also enjoy a blast from the past with a tribute show to Elvis Presley.
6. Explore Simcoe County Museum
A short 18-minute drive from Barrie is where you will find the rich history of Simcoe County. All summer long, you and your family can enjoy the following Simcoe County Museum indoor and outdoor exhibits:
- Barrie's Main Street: Take a trip to downtown Barrie to see how Main Street looked in the heart of the 20th century with this blast-from-the-past exhibit. You will get to view life-size replicas of actual stores, businesses and outfits of those living during this time period.
- Natural Resources Gallery: Kids of all ages love exploring the interactive exhibits in the Natural Resources Gallery. Learn about the history of Simcoe County's earliest inhabitants, animal species and crafted tools.
- Heritage Buildings: Interested in the advancement of architecture in the area? The Simcoe County Museum is home to 10 heritage buildings that replicate 19th to 20th-century homes, churches and schools.
- Living and Working Gallery: See how inventions transformed our way of living from the late 19th century to the 1970s. The exhibits range from 1900s artifacts such as the gramophone to the retro 1970s rec room display.
7. Take Part in Kempenfest
The annual art, music and crafts festival is the perfect destination to celebrate the rich culture of Barrie. Each year at Kempenfest, antique vendors show off the trades and skills of Ontario locals while you stroll through the endless line of tents. Whether you want to soak in the sun while listening to local bands or watch your kids show off their new face paint, Kempenfest is one of the most fun summer activities in Barrie.
8. Take Flight With Ellipse Aviation
What better way to explore Barrie than in the sky? A short 30-minute drive will take you to Ellipse Aviation, where you can go on a scenic introductory flight above Ontario. Make sure to bring your camera to capture unbelievable sights of the bay, city and wildlife. You can even take control of the aircraft during your flight with the guidance of trained instructors.
9. Support Barrie Sports
If you and your family enjoy the rush of competitive sports, Barrie is home to numerous teams to cheer on during your visit. In the summer, you can catch the Barrie Baycats baseball team face off against other local Canadian teams. Spiritfest and the Ontario Men's and Senior Men's Match Play Championships are perfect for avid soccer fans. If golf is your cup of tea, check out the Ontario Senior Women's Championship.
10. Enjoy the Fun at Barrie KOA Holiday Campground
After a long day of exploring Barrie, you can retire to the relaxing open grounds at Barrie KOA Holiday Campground. Better yet, KOA events can become the highlight of your vacation. If you're looking for things to do with kids the scheduled summer activities in Barrie include fun for the whole family.
Upcoming events at Barrie KOA Holiday Campground include:
- Zoo Tek Wildly Exciting Animal Show — June 2-4
- Canada D'EH Long WEEKend — June 30-July 6
- Under The Sea Wet and Wild Water WEEKend — July 7-13
- The 10th Annual KOA Karnival WEEKend — August 18-24
- Totally Tiki Beach Party WEEKend — August 25-31
Book Your Stay at KOA
With so many fun things to do near Barrie, you'll need a comfortable place to stay before heading out on more exciting adventures. Look no further than Barrie KOA Holiday Campground. The full itinerary of fun activities will entertain you and your whole family during your stay.
Book your reservation today for conveniently close proximity to all your favorite fun things to do near Barrie, Ontario.