Welcome to the heart of the Brasstown Balds!
Looking for a peaceful getaway in the mountains of Northeast Georgia? Look no further than Hiawassee KOA Holiday, located in the heart of the beautiful region. Whether you want to fish, hike, pedal boat, play mini golf, swim, or just relax by the campfire with stunning views of nature —we have it all. Nestled in the heart of the stunning Bald Mountains, Hiawassee KOA Holiday offers the perfect retreat for families looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Our campground features a range of activities to keep you and your loved ones entertained. Plus, our peaceful surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for relaxing around the campfire and enjoying the beauty of nature.Book your stay at Hiawassee KOA Holiday today!Ways to Stay in HiawasseeWhile many visitors to Hiawassee love the idea of roughing it in the great outdoors, some prefer a more relaxing retreat to escape the hustle and bustle of modern life. Whatever your preferred camping style, we have options for every kind of visitor to enjoy a peaceful escape or make memories on your group trip:
- RV Sites: If you are traveling cross-country in your RV, you need a place with plenty of space. We offer the best Hiawassee RV sites with full hookup options! So, try one of our Pull-Thru or Back-In RV Sites.
- Cabins: Our adorable Deluxe Cabins near the streams and lake are the perfect way to experience this region's immense beauty. Many of our cabin sites are pet-friendly!
- Tent Sites: For many campers, the tradition of tent camping in Hiawassee, Georgia with all your gear is the only way to experience camping! Our spacious sites provide the best tent camping in Hiawassee, ensuring you have plenty of space for your whole crew to cozy up around the campfire.
Our Campground Amenities and RecreationYour time at the campground will be full of peace, fun, and excitement. We have many amenities all campers can use when they want to stay busy or relax. Hang out with your friends and make new ones while using fun features like:
- KampK9® dog park
- Mini golf
- Game room
We also have a baseball field, volleyball court, and playground you can use to run around while enjoying our various recreational activities. If you want to engage in water activities, make sure you check out our pond, lake, or pool. Bring your fishing rods and supplies along to fish at the campground pond. We also have paddle boats that campers can use to travel across the lake. If you want to cool down and play in the water, our swimming pool is the perfect place to get wet and have fun.No matter what you do, you and your family will enjoy creating memories together at Hiawassee KOA Holiday.What to do Near Hiawassee KOAHiawassee is a small town located in the beautiful North Georgia Mountains. Nearby, Lake Chatuge is a 3,000-acre lake that offers fishing, boating, and water sports. It is surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains and provides an excellent place to hike or mountain bike through the many trails that circle the lake. The Appalachian Trail runs along the edge of the lake for several miles, making it easy for hikers and bikers to access. Bell Mountain offers views of Lake Chatuge, with North Georgia Mountains in the distance. Alpine Helen offers a Bavarian Village with German beer and food served up by friendly folks. Brasstown Bald is Georgia's highest peak with over 35 miles of trails for hiking, horseback riding & ATVs. Here are just a few of the many things to do in Hiawassee:
- Explore the Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds:Located just a few minutes from downtown Hiawassee, the Georgia Mountain Fairgroundsfeatures a variety of events and activities throughout the year. The fairgrounds host concerts, festivals, exhibitions, and other events, making it a great destination for entertainment and fun.
- Hike the trails at Brasstown Bald:Brasstown Bald, the highest peak in Georgia, offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. The mountain is home to several hiking trails, ranging from easy to challenging. The trails wind through beautiful forested areas and offer stunning views of the landscape.
- Visit the Georgia Mountain History Museum: This museum, located in downtown Hiawassee, offers a fascinating look at the history of the North Georgia region. The museum's exhibits cover a range of topics, from the Cherokee Indians to the development of the area's tourism industry. Visitors can learn about the area's rich history through a variety of displays, including artifacts, photographs, and interactive exhibits.
- Go fishing in Lake Chatuge: Lake Chatuge is a popular spot for fishing, with a variety of species including bass, trout, and catfish. Rent a boat or fishing gear from a local outfitter and spend the day on the water. The lake is also a great spot for swimming and other water activities.
- Take a tour of the HiwasseeDam: The Hiwassee Dam, located on the HiwasseeRiver in North Carolina, is a popular spot for photography and sightseeing. The dam, which was built in the 1940s, provides hydroelectric power to the surrounding area and is an important part of the region's infrastructure. Visitors can take a tour of the dam and learn about its history and function.
- Visit the Georgia Mountain Fall Festival: The Georgia Mountain Fall Festival is anannual event held in early October, and it isa must-see for anyone visiting Hiawassee during the fall. The festival features live music, arts and crafts, and a variety of other activities. The festival is a great opportunity to enjoy the beautiful autumn weather and experience the unique culture of the North Georgia Mountains.
- Go whitewater rafting on the Chattahoochee River: The Chattahoochee River, which runs through Hiawassee, offers a variety of whitewater rafting options, ranging from gentle floats to challenging rapids. Whether you're an experienced rafter or a beginner, there's a trip for you on this beautiful river.
- Shop and dine in downtown Hiawassee: The downtown area of Hiawassee is home to a number of charming shops and restaurants, offering a variety of locally made products and delicious cuisine. Take a stroll through the quaint streets and browse the unique stores, or stop for a bite to eat at one of the town's many restaurants.
- Visit the Mountain Life Museum: See several historical buildings while visiting the Mountain Life Museum, which consists of three historic structures — the 1861 John Payne Cabin, the 1899 Courthouse, and the 1906 Grapelle Butt Mock House.
- Hike to the High Shoals Waterfalls: Take the High Shoals Falls Trail to see some of the most beautiful waterfalls in Georgia. The trail is moderately challenging and leads you to Blue Hole Falls and High Shoals Falls.
- Browse antiques at the Hiawassee Antique Mall: Whether you like shopping for rare antiques or seeing unique items, visit Hiawassee Antique Mall, a local antique store. You can find everything here, from jewelry and fine china to books and glassware. The store even has a section for your partner if they prefer to sit while you shop.
- Stroll through Hamilton Gardens: Take a leisurely walk through beautiful flowers and plants at Hamilton Gardens. The landscape spans 33 acres and offers breathtaking views. You'll see over 1,500 native rhododendrons and azaleas, a lake, and Mount Yonah as you walk along the paths in the garden paradise.
- Take an Aqua Tiki Boat: Party on the water when you take an Aqua Tiki Boat for the day. Whether you are celebrating a birthday, anniversary, or wedding or want an exciting family day, the party boats will have everything you need to relax and have fun. The boats have a licensed captain, a bartender, food, drinks, and water activities.
Book Your Stay at the Best Campground in Hiawassee, GAYour Hiawassee adventure is only a few clicks away! Explore our KOA Hiawassee campground and start planning your vacation today! Our convenient location, affordable camping, and amazing amenities make us the best place to camp in Hiawassee. Sites book up fast, so reserve your stay at Hiawassee KOA today for the best selection! Prefer to call? Book your stay at 888-562-3202.