Local Area Attractions Near Kamiah / Clearwater River KOA Journey
Heart of the Monster
According to the nimíipuu (Nez Perce) creation story, Iceye'ye (Coyote) killed a large monster along the Clearwater River near present day Kamiah, Idaho, thus creating different tribes in the region, including the nimíipuu. A rock formation in the area is said to represent the heart of the monster described in the legend. It is sacred to the nimíipuu people.
U.S. Highway 12 at mile marker 68
Across HWY 12 from KOA
Kamiah, ID 83536
Weir Creek Natural Hot Springs
Weir Creek Hot Springs is located in the beautiful Clearwater National Forest in Idaho. The hot springs are primitive rock walled and gravel bottomed pools. The hot spring is set among a gorgeous landscape of cedars and rock cliffs with spectacular views. Weir Creek is located at mile post 142.1 on Hwy 12, about 75 miles East of the KOA going towards Montana.
The trail entrance is marked with a trail sign and the 1/4 mile hike leads to 2 hot springs.
Dworshak Dam and Reservoir
Dworshak Dam is a concrete gravity dam on the North Fork of the Clearwater River in north central Idaho. In Clearwater County, the dam is located approximately four miles (6 km) northwest of Orofino and creates the Dworshak Reservoir, which is used for recreation, flood control and hydro electricity generation.
At a height of 717 feet (219 m), Dworshak is the third tallest dam in the U.S. and the tallest straight-axis concrete dam in the Western Hemisphere. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began construction in 1966 and the dam was completed in 1973.
Dworshak Dam is located 31.5 miles west of the Kamiah / Clearwater River KOA.
1842 Viewpoint Rd.
Ahsahka, ID 83520
Local Area Recreation Near Kamiah / Clearwater River KOA Journey
Floating the Clearwater River
Floating the Clearwater River in Kooskia and Kamiah, Idaho can be a fantastic outdoor adventure, offering beautiful scenery and opportunities for fishing, swimming, and relaxation. Here's some information about floating this river in those areas:
1. Clearwater River Overview:
- The Clearwater River is a major tributary of the Snake River, flowing through north-central Idaho. It's known for its pristine waters, rugged canyons, and lush forests.
- The section of the Clearwater River that flows through Kooskia and Kamiah is particularly scenic and offers a variety of recreational opportunities.
2. River Conditions:
- Before embarking on a floating trip, it's crucial to check the current river conditions, as they can change due to seasonal variations, weather, and dam releases.
- Water levels in the Clearwater River can vary significantly, affecting the difficulty and safety of your float. Pay attention to water flow and weather forecasts.
3. Launching Points:
- Two popular launching points for floating the Clearwater River in this region are in Kooskia and Kamiah.
- Kooskia offers easy access to the upper Clearwater River, while Kamiah provides access to the middle and lower sections.
4. Float Options:
- There are various floating options available, ranging from short, calm stretches suitable for tubing or leisurely floats to longer trips for experienced paddlers.
- You can choose to paddle in a kayak, canoe, or inflatable raft, depending on your preference and skill level.
5. Scenic Beauty:
- The Clearwater River is known for its breathtaking natural beauty. You'll float through lush forests, past rocky cliffs, and enjoy picturesque views of the surrounding mountains.
- Keep an eye out for wildlife, as the area is home to deer, eagles, osprey, and even the occasional bear.
- The Clearwater River is renowned for its fishing opportunities. It's home to various species of fish, including steelhead, salmon, trout, and sturgeon. If you're an angler, bring your gear along.
7. Safety Considerations:
- Always wear a personal flotation device (PFD) while on the river.
- Be aware of potential hazards such as submerged rocks and swift currents.
- Stay hydrated and protect yourself from the sun, as it can get quite hot during the summer.
Highway 12 (various locations)
Kooskia, Kamiah, ID 83536