Fishing in Sheridan, Wyoming — A Sheridan Travel Guide
If you enjoy fly fishing, you will not want to skip visiting Sheridan, Wyoming. Located halfway between Yellowstone Park and Mount Rushmore, Sheridan is surrounded by miles of ponds, lakes, rivers, streams and tributaries home to a diverse native fish population.
From the North Tongue River and Tongue River Reservoir to Bighorn Canyon and the South Tongue River, there are plenty of opportunities to cast a line near Sheridan. Learn more about the region's native fish and best fishing destinations below.
The Best Times to Go Fishing in Sheridan, Wyoming
The cold water ponds, lakes, rivers and tributaries surrounding Sheridan are home to a diverse fish population. Fly anglers can catch anything from trout and bass to rarer fish species like gold trout and tiger muskie.
The best time to go fishing depends on the type of fish you are after. Most regional fly fishers agree that the late spring, summer and early fall boast some of the best times to go fishing in Sheridan.
Fish Native to Sheridan and the Rocky Mountain West
Fish varieties you can catch in the waters surrounding Sheridan include:
- Yellowstone cutthroat: The Yellowstone cutthroat is a regional fish native to Wyoming. Freshwater anglers travel far and wide to fish the North Tongue River and Bighorn River near Porcupine Falls to glimpse this beautiful, gold-tinted, red-gilled fish.
- Rainbow trout: You will find several trout varieties in the ponds, lakes and tributaries surrounding Sheridan, including rainbow trout, brown trout and gold trout. You can find rainbow trout — a ray-finned game fish — in the North and South Tongue Rivers and Bighorn Canyon. Bring along your blue-winged Olive flies and Zebra Midges for the best chance of catching trout.
- Largemouth bass: If you are after bass, you must bring popper flies and Clouser Minnows along. Stop by The Kleenburn Ponds, where many anglers capture largemouth bass and other bass varieties. The Lower Tongue River, South Park Recreation Area and Tongue River Reservoir are excellent spots for catching large, trophy-sized bass.
- Tiger muskie: While the tiger musky can be challenging to catch, anglers have had luck luring these stunning, tiger-striped hybrid fish in The Tongue Reservoir. Pack a handmade wobbler lure designed to catch game fish if you want to wrangle one of these beauties.
- Shovelnose sturgeon: The shovelnose sturgeon — or hackleback — is a unique-looking fish with a long body, flat snout and shark-like tail fin. You can find these prehistoric-looking, bottom-dwelling fish in The Tongue River and Powder River Basin.
- Northern pike: Anglers often catch large Northern pike in and around The Tongue River Reservoir. Pack a variety of minnows and jerk bait to entice these large, predatory fish.
Camp Near Sheridan's Best Fishing Spots at Sheridan / Big Horn Mountains KOA Journey
Sheridan / Big Horn Mountains KOA Journey is a camping paradise that seamlessly combines the spirit of the Old West and the beauty of nature, modern amenities, and endless adventures. The campground has everything you need, whether your trip is a quick weekend getaway or a week-long vacation. It’s a convenient location between Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone National Park. This KOA location offers Pull-Thru or Back-In RV Sites. Most of our sites are full hookups and every site has 50, 30 or 20 amp service. If you do not have an RV or want a more luxurious camping experience, consider staying in one of our Deluxe or Camping Cabins or even a Conestoga Covered Wagon with a private bath house! If you want a truly authentic camping trip, you can camp at one of the Tent Sites. We also now offer RV rentals through our partnership with RVshare. We also have extended stay and group stay options to get the most out of your camping experience. You can also enjoy your stay here by exploring our uniquely Wyoming gift store, calf roping demonstrations, mini golf, fishing Goose Creek, and our gem mining sluice!
If you want to experience great camping and the spirit of the Old West at the same time, the Sheridan Big Horn Mountains KOA is the perfect campgrounds for you and your family! Reserve a campsite today!