Explore Rockport Like a Local
Exploring Rockport, Texas like a local is a great way to experience the charm and natural beauty of this coastal town. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
1. Visit the Beaches:
- Spend time at Rockport Beach Park, a local favorite for swimming and picnicking.
- Head to nearby Mustang Island State Park or Padre Island National Seashore for less crowded beaches.
2. Fishing and Boating:
- Rockport is known for its excellent fishing. Rent a kayak or charter a fishing boat to enjoy the waters.
- Try your hand at fishing off the Copano Bay Fishing Pier.
3. Bird Watching:
- Rockport is a popular destination for bird watchers. The Aransas National Wildlife Refuge is a must-visit to see the endangered whooping crane.
- The Rockport-Fulton area also has many birding trails and platforms.
4. Historical Sites:
- Explore the Fulton Mansion State Historic Site to learn about the history of the area.
- Visit the Texas Maritime Museum to discover the maritime history of the region.
5. Local Dining:
- Enjoy fresh seafood at local restaurants like The Boiling Pot, Charlotte Plummer's, or Stevie Lew's BBQ Kitchen.
- Don't forget to try a local favorite - the shrimp and oyster po'boys.
6. Art Galleries:
- Rockport has a vibrant arts community. Stroll through the town's art galleries and studios to appreciate local talent.
- The Rockport Center for the Arts hosts exhibitions and events throughout the year.
7. Live Music:
- Check out local venues like Rock Bottom Park & Pub or The Office Lounge for live music. These places often have a relaxed, local atmosphere.
8. Local Events
- Plan your trip around one of the many local event happening in the area.
- Visit for one of the annual events like the Rockport Fishing Expo or The Texas Jazz Festival or grab some local goods at the Downtown Rockport Makers Market held monthly.
9. Explore the Downtown Area:
- Walk along Rockport's historic downtown area and explore the unique shops and boutiques.
- Attend local events and festivals if they are happening during your visit.
10. Nature Trails:
- Hike or bike the Aransas Pathways trails, which offer a chance to experience the local flora and fauna.
- Take a trip to Goose Island State Park for even more outdoor adventures.
Remember to respect the environment, wildlife, and the local culture while exploring Rockport, and you'll have a fantastic experience living like a local in this charming coastal town.
Make Rockport KOA Holiday your basecamp
Let Rockport KOA Holiday serve as your basecamp as you explore Rockport, Corpus Christi and more. Choose between full-hookup RV Sites and pet-friendly Tent Sites to create your ideal camping experience. Take a dip in the pool after a day of exploring or rent a bike and pedal around before hitting the nightlife. Sites are filling up fast, book your stay with us today!