Local Area Attractions
Spearfish Canyon Scenic Drive
Scenic highway travels all the way along the canyon. The canyon is six times more ancient than the Grand Canyon. Sites include breathtaking views, amazing wildlife, beautiful waterfalls, and the site for the winter camp of the movie Dances with Wolves. Hiking and mountain biking trails, rock climbing, and fishing are also available.
- Beautiful Rushmore Cave is the area's largest stalactite cave located in Keystone. One-hour guided tours. Open May 1 to Oct. 31. Call (605) 255-4384 for more information. www.beautifulrushmorecave.com
- Wonderland Cave offers two level caverns 60 million years old. Tours every 15 minutes. Gift shop and lunch counter also available. Located in Sturgis.
- Black Hills Caverns includes 28 different formations in three-level wind caverns. 30 min. crystal tour and a one-hour adventure tour. Located 4 miles west of Rapid City. Visit Black Hills Caverns online for more information.
- Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns located NW of Rapid City. Underground caverns have reflecting pools, limestone tapestries and chambers studded with dogtooth spar crystals. Guided tours. Call (605)342-2777 for more information. www.sittingbullcrystalcaverns.com
- Thunderhead Underground Falls located 10 miles west of Rapid City. Go underground along an easy walk to see a spectacular waterfall . Call (605) 343-0081 for more information.
Blacktail Guest Ranch
Enjoy horseback riding in the Black Hills, call 605-722-4241.
D.C. Booth Historic Fish Hatchery
Offers free admission to museum, historic home, fishponds, and underwater viewing windows. Fish and duck/geese food is available to buy. Gift shop is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from mid-May to mid-September. Grounds are open year-round from dawn to dusk. For more information visit their web site.
- Adam Museum and House Explore Deadwood's legendary past. Located in Deadwood. Call (605) 578-3724 for more information.
- Black Hills Mining Museum offers guided tours through a simulated mine. Gold panning, exhibits, and historic video theatre. Located in Lead. Call (605) 584-1605 for more information.
- Museum of Geology offers world-class specimens of prehistoric Badlands mammals, marine reptiles, and dinosaurs. Wide collection of rocks, minerals, and ores. Free admission. Located on the SD School of Mines and Technology Campus in Rapid City. Call (605) 394-2467 for more information.
- National Museum of Woodcarving World's largest collection of animated woodcarvings by the animator of Disneyland. Theatre, gallery, carving studio, and snack shop. Located in Custer. Call (605)673-4404 for more information.
- Parade of Presidents Wax Museum celebrates America's proud heritage with life-like, life-size figures of all U.S. Presidents in authentic period costumes and surroundings. Located in Keystone. Call (605)666-4455 for more information.
- South Dakota Air and Space Museum is located at Ellsworth AFB east of Rapid City. Historic bombers, fighters, utility aircraft and missiles, and an indoor museum are all provided with free admission. Official base tours are an option for a nominal fee. Call (605) 385-5188 for more information. Visit the South Dakota Air and Space Museum online for more information.
- Journey Museum located in Rapid City offers four prehistoric and historic collections that tell the complete story of the Western Great Plains from the perspective of the Lakota people and pioneers. Call (605) 394-6923 for more information.
- Flintstone's Bedrock City located in Custer is home of Fred's Bedrock City. Stone Age theme park features rides and shows. Eat brontoburgers and dino dogs. Call (605) 673-4079 for more information.
- Big Thunder Gold Mine. Experience the Black Hills Gold rush of the 1880's. Free gold ore sample during the underground tour. Gold panning, mining museum and gift shop also available. Located in Keystone. Call (605) 666-4847 for more information. www.bigthundermine.com
- Broken Boot Gold Mine offers underground tours of a historical gold mine. Learn how a real gold mine operated in the days of black powder and candlelight along the guided tour. Located in Deadwood. Call (605)578-9997 for more information, or visit the Broken Boot Gold Mine online.
- Our own restaurant offers breakfast from 7-10 a.m. and dinner from 4-8 p.m. We serve Steve's Barbequed baby back ribs, buffalo burgers, hamburgers, salsa, hot dogs, homemade cinnamon rolls, breakfast burritos and more. Opens Memorial Day
- Romas Italian restaurant. Lunch hours are Monday-Friday at 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and dinner hours are open at 4:00 p.m. Call (605) 722-0715 for reservations or information.
- Seven Grill & Soupshack serves salads, wraps, burgers, pasta, and homemade desserts.
- The Club Room is a separate restaurant that serves top-of-the-line food including locally owned beef. Definitely the best in Spearfish. Call (605) 717-5702 for more information or reservations.
- Golden Dragon restaurant is a Chinese restaurant with delivery and take out available. Lunch Buffet also available. Call (605) 642-2641 for more information.
- Buffalo Jump Saloon in Beluah Wy Enjoy a great meal in Beluah Wy just 10 miles from the KOA. Great steaks and seafood. www. buffalojumpsaloon.com .
- Spearfish Chophouse and Whiskey Bar Sunday brunch, daily lunch specials, and awesome dinners. Located at the mouth of Spearfish Canyon.
Fast Food Restaurants
- Burger King
- Taco Bell
- Taco Johns
- Pizza Hut
- Pizza Ranch
- KFC/Long John Silvers
- Dairy Queen
- Rental Cars - Enterprise Rent-A-Car is located nearby. www.enterprise.com
- Animal Inn - Pet boarding and day care for cats and dogs. Private kennels with air conditioning and heat. Animals are in a safe country-style setting. There is no extra charge for personal attention such as medications or feeding. $11.00 daily. Please call (605) 641-4134 for more information. (Owner sends her own dogs & granddog here!)
- Queen City Motors - Full service garage that can fix any problem on your vehicle. Also sell parts for your vehicle. Mostly works on GM or Chevrolet vehicles. Call (605)642-2766. www.queencitymotors.com
- Juneks Chrysler Dodge - Dodge and Jeep dealership. They will work on any type of vehicle. Call (605)642-2651 www.juneks.com
- Medical - Queen City Medical. Orthopedic Surgery, Internal Medicine, Obstetrics, General and Endoscopic Surgery, Family Practice, and Pediatrics. Call (605)642-8414.
- Jeff Wiswall D.D.S. General dentist specializing in family dentistry. spearfishdentist.com (605)717-3232.
- Spearfish Surgery Center. (605)642-3113.
- Spearfish Eye Care Center. Frame repair, contact lenses, eye exams, glaucoma tests, emergency service, and diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases. (605)642-8480.
- Spearfish Animal Hospital - Dentistry, Grooming, Surgery, and Boarding. Call (605)642-5771.
- Hair Salons - Saint James Place is located in Belle Fourche. Offers the best hair stylists around that are latest in style and on the cutting edge. Also have tanning, facials, medicures, pedicures, nails, and body wraps.
- Fred Ening Real Estate. 603 Main St. P.O. Box 1083, Spearfish, SD, 57783-7083. Email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit his web page at www.fredening.com. Please call Fred at (605)644-1010 or fax to (605)642-1010.
- Mark's Barber & Style Shop 114 W Hudson Street, Spearfish SD 57783. (605)642-8603. Open 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday
Ice Cream Social
Ice Cream Socials are held nightly from 8-9:00 pm. All you can eat gourmet ice cream such as Orange Dream, Huckleberry Heaven, Moose Tracks, Caramel Carribou, and Smores just to name a few.
Discovery Tours offers a day long tour of the Black Hills. Choose from two different tours to spend your day in the Black Hills. Price includes admission to all parks visited.
Rubberstamping and scrapbooking classes
Classes are available by advanced reservation only. June, August, & September on the third Saturday of the month and the second Saturday of July. Call the campground at (605) 642-4633.
Come and enjoy our onsite restaurant for breakfast and dinner. We have a nightly special menu. We prepare all of our own food from Steve's baby back ribs, salsa, barbeque Buffalo burgers, hamburgers and hot dogs. Opens on Memorial Day. Homemade giant Cinnamon rolls, breakfast burritos, pancakes and more.
Discover the Black Hills in Style! Two daily tours are available. The Monumental Tour takes you through Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, and Sylvan Lake. The Historic Deadwood-Lead Tour takes you to President's Park, Takanka, sites in Lead, and sites in Deadwood. Each tour price includes prices for entrance into the individual parks/sites. Lunch is also included. Call (888) 524-5655 or go to www.blackhillsvacations.com/activities/tours/ for more information.
Four Aces Casino
Four Aces Casino is located in historic Deadwood, South Dakota. It is a full service casino with a friendly staff anxious to serve you. In addition to their gaming, you will enjoy a wonderful atmosphere with an excellent restaurant. Call (605) 578-2323 for more information. http://www.FourAcesHampton.com.
Deadwood and Lead Attractions
- Homestake Gold Mine, Broken Boot Gold Mine, Ghosts of Deadwood Gulch Wax Museum, and Adams Museum. Downtown Deadwood offers gifts shops and casinos. Trolley offers transportation to various sites within the town (fee required).
- Gulches of Fun is an amusement park and arcade for children. Call (605) 578-3386 for more information, or visit Gulches of Fun online.
- Trout Haven offers the best trough fishing anywhere! Furnish everything. Pay for what you catch and the Pier Café will fry your catch. Visit Trout Haven online for more information.
- Homestake Gold Mine Visitor Center. View the historic 1876 Open Cut mining area. Free visitor center has artifacts, short video, and gift shop. Tours available. http://www.homestaketour.com .
Belle Fourche Attractions
This is the center of the Nation tourist center, Rodeos, Antique Stores, Rec Center, and Fishing.
Bear Butte State Park, Ft. Meade Calvary Museum, Sturgis Bike Rally at the beginning of August. Petrified Forest of the Black Hills.
See the famous Mount Rushmore National Monument. Walking trail takes you to the base of the monument. Go through the parade of flags, find souvenirs in the gift shop, and dine by the faces in the restaurant. Scenic drives in the surrounding hills offer spectacular views of the four faces. http://www.nps.gov/moru/ Call (605) 574-2523 for more information.
Rapid City Attractions
- Black Hills Maze and Family Adventure. 37,000 square foot, two level maze. 400 ft. Racing Ziplines, 25 ft. climbing tower, water wars, and bankshot basketball. Call (605) 343-5439 for more information. http://www.blackhillsmaze.com
- Old MacDonald's Farm is a petting farm offering pony and train rides. Hand feed, pet, and even bottle-feed animals. Call (605) 737-4815 for more information. www.oldmacsfarm.blackhills.com
- Petrified Forest of the Black Hills. Museum and nature walk tells you all about the Black Hills Geology. Also tour the prehistoric world. Tour includes a video, digital and graphic museum. Gift and Rock shop offer a variety of souvenirs. www.elkcreek.org Call (605) 787-4884 for more information.
- Bear Country U.S.A. is a drive-thru wildlife park where bear, elk, wolves, buffalo, and other wildlife are roaming free in their natural habitat. A walk-thru "babyland" features baby animals. Motorhomes welcome. Open daily. http://www.bearcountryusa.com/ Call (605) 343-2290 for more information.
- Children's Science Center offers hands-on science fun. Call (605) 394-6996 for more information.
- Cosmo Mystery Area. Scientific principles and a special aura combine to produce awesome tour where the laws of nature seem to not exist. Call (605) 343-9802 for more information.
- Flags and Wheels Indoor Racing. Take the kids and have a day of fun for the whole family. They have the fastest go-karts around. Also enjoy paintball, laser tag, and baseball cages. Call (605) 341-7585 for more information. http://www.flagsandwheels.com
- Storybook Island is filled with fairytale characters. Train rides and a children's theatre are also in the park. Free admission. www.storybookisland.org Call (605) 342-6357 for more information.
- Reptile Gardens is the world's largest reptile collection. Four animal shows are performed every 15 minutes. The Sky Dome is an indoor jungle where you can walk amongst snakes, lizards, birds, and more. Play games with chickens! Call (605) 342-5873 for more information. www.reptilegardens.com
- The Ranch Amusement Park. Enjoy a fun-filled day of go-cart racing, bumber boats, mini golf, and arcade. Located on Hwy 16. Call (605)352-3321 for more information.
Custer State Park
This is a 73,000-acre park that includes one of the nation's largest bison heads. Mountain resorts, fishing, scenic drives, visitor centers, day and evening park programs, and hiking are available. Park entrance fee is required. Call (605) 255-4515 for more information. Visit Custer State Park online for more information.
Hot Springs Attractions
- Mammoth Site is one of the world's greatest fossil treasures. Seen on Discovery Channel's "Raising the Mammoth". Guided tours, museum, and gift shop are open year round. Call (605) 745-6017 for more information. www.mammothsite.com
- Evan's Plunge offers fun for everyone in the family. Large swimming pool and slides are filled with natural warm spring water. Call (605) 745-5165 for more information. http://www.evansplunge.com
- Trout Haven Ranch. Over 1 million trout is raised and stocked every year. Everything is provided to fish with no license needed. Call (605) 833-2571 for more information.
- Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary. View wild mustangs, ancient Indian petroglyphs, and Crazy Horse movie set in the two-hour guided tour. (605) 745-5955 http://www.wildmustangs.com.
- Rushmore Borglum Story. Museum and gallery holds the complete collection of Mt. Rushmore's sculptor. www.rushmoreborglum.com Call (605) 666-4482 or 4448 for more information
- Rushmore Helicopter's Inc. Sight-seeing trips offer beautiful and thrilling tours. 3 ½ mile, 8 mile, 27 mile, and 35 mile trips are available. Call (605) 666-4461 for more information or get information about Rushmore Helicopters online.
- President's slide beings with a scenic chairlift ride and end with a thrilling ride down the alpine slide or ride the chairlift back down. Call (605) 666-4478, or visit the President's slide online.