Local Area Attractions
Spearfish Canyon Scenic Drive
Scenic highway travels all the way along the canyon. The canyon is six times more ancient than the Grand Canyon. Sites include breathtaking views, amazing wildlife, beautiful waterfalls, and the site for the winter camp of the movie Dances with Wolves. Hiking and mountain biking trails, rock climbing, and fishing are also available.
- Beautiful Rushmore Cave is the area's largest stalactite cave located in Keystone. One-hour guided tours. Open May 1 to Oct. 31. Call (605) 255-4384 for more information. www.beautifulrushmorecave.com
- Wonderland Cave offers two level caverns 60 million years old. Tours every 15 minutes. Gift shop and lunch counter also available. Located in Sturgis.
- Black Hills Caverns includes 28 different formations in three-level wind caverns. 30 min. crystal tour and a one-hour adventure tour. Located 4 miles west of Rapid City. Visit Black Hills Caverns online for more information.
- Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns located NW of Rapid City. Underground caverns have reflecting pools, limestone tapestries and chambers studded with dogtooth spar crystals. Guided tours. Call (605)342-2777 for more information. www.sittingbullcrystalcaverns.com
- Thunderhead Underground Falls located 10 miles west of Rapid City. Go underground along an easy walk to see a spectacular waterfall . Call (605) 343-0081 for more information.
D.C. Booth Historic Fish Hatchery
Offers free admission to museum, historic home, fishponds, and underwater viewing windows. Fish and duck/geese food is available to buy. Gift shop is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from mid-May to mid-September. Grounds are open year-round from dawn to dusk. For more information visit their web site .
Local Area Activities
- Spearfish Canyon Country Club is located at the mouth of Spearfish Canyon. Enjoy 18 holes of golf, a swimming pool, restaurant, bar, and clubhouse store. Call (605) 642-8479 for more information or (605) 642-7156 for tee times. Visit Spearfish Canyon Country Club online for more information.
- Belle Fourche Country Club is located 8 miles North of Spearfish. The course has 9 holes of golf among the pines. Call (605) 892-3472 or visit Belle Fourche Country Club and other Black Hills golf courses online for more information.
- Boulder Canyon Golf Course is a beautiful course located in Boulder Canyon between Sturgis and Deadwood. Call (605) 347-5180 or visit Boulder Canyon Golf Course online for more information.
- Spearfish Creek is located 200 feet from our campground. Great fly fishing for brown and rainbow trout. License Required
- Spearfish Trout Farm located just North of Spearfish is a great place to take the kids fishing. Poles and bait are provided at no charge, you only pay for what you catch. Call (605) 642-9378 for more information.
- Numerous trails cover the Black Hills area . For more information and a list of trails call the Forest Service at (605) 642-4622. Access the forest service web site at www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/
- George S. Mickelson trail is a 110-mile long trail starting at Deadwood, SD and ending at Hot Springs, SD. Trail pass is required for a small charge. Fourteen trailheads make the trail easily accessible. www.MickelsonTrail.com
- Centennial Trail --A 111-mile trail extending from North to South along the Black Hills. Access points are located every 3 to 10 miles along the trail. Please visit the Gorp.away.com website for trail location and information.
- Key Antiques located in Spearfish. Call (605) 642-7087 for more information.
- Main Street Mini Mall in Spearfish. Call (605) 642-5884 for more information.
- Love That Shoppe in Belle Fourche, SD. Great store owned by great people. (605)892-4006 for more information. Located in Belle Fourche, 10 miles north of Spearfish.
- Terry Peak Ski Area. Season begins mid-November and continues through April. During high season, open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. For more information please call 1-800-456-0524 or go to www.terrypeak.com
- Deer Mountain Ski Area. Lodging and Ski/Ride Packages available. Cross Country Skiing, Downhill Skiing, Night Skiing, and Tubing are available. Open on Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday from 9 p.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Go to www.skimystic.com or call (605) 584-3230 for more information.
- Cross Country Trails --enjoy the beautiful Black Hills during the winter. Numerous cross country trails extend into the forest.