Local Area Attractions
Spearfish Canyon Scenic Drive
Scenic highway travels all the way along the canyon. The canyon is six times more ancient than the Grand Canyon. Sites include breathtaking views, amazing wildlife, beautiful waterfalls, and the site for the winter camp of the movie Dances with Wolves. Hiking and mountain biking trails, rock climbing, and fishing are also available.
- Beautiful Rushmore Cave is the area's largest stalactite cave located in Keystone. One-hour guided tours. Open May 1 to Oct. 31. Call (605) 255-4384 for more information. www.beautifulrushmorecave.com
- Wonderland Cave offers two level caverns 60 million years old. Tours every 15 minutes. Gift shop and lunch counter also available. Located in Sturgis.
- Black Hills Caverns includes 28 different formations in three-level wind caverns. 30 min. crystal tour and a one-hour adventure tour. Located 4 miles west of Rapid City. Visit Black Hills Caverns online for more information.
- Sitting Bull Crystal Caverns located NW of Rapid City. Underground caverns have reflecting pools, limestone tapestries and chambers studded with dogtooth spar crystals. Guided tours. Call (605)342-2777 for more information. www.sittingbullcrystalcaverns.com
- Thunderhead Underground Falls located 10 miles west of Rapid City. Go underground along an easy walk to see a spectacular waterfall . Call (605) 343-0081 for more information.
Blacktail Guest Ranch
Enjoy horseback riding in the Black Hills, call 605-722-4241.
D.C. Booth Historic Fish Hatchery
Offers free admission to museum, historic home, fishponds, and underwater viewing windows. Fish and duck/geese food is available to buy. Gift shop is open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily from mid-May to mid-September. Grounds are open year-round from dawn to dusk. For more information visit their web site.