Local Area Attractions
Explore Athabasca Glacier
Located along the Icefield Parkway / Highway 93.
The Athabasca Glacier - a tongue of ice 6 kilometres long and one kilometre wide descending almost to road level. Take time to explore the Glacier while experienced driver/guides explain how glaciers are formed and point out interesting geological features. At the icefall below the glacier headwall, you have the option of stepping out onto ice formed from snow falling as long as 400 years ago.
Caving at Cadomin Cave
A short drive on Highway 40 South Cadomin Cave is not a commercial or developed "Tourist Cave". The 1.5 hour hike to the entrance ascends 300 metres over steep terrain that can be muddy and slippery. You must be physically fit, have proper footwear and clothing, and have taken proper safety precautions. At this time the cave is closed to protect our bat colony from White Nose Syndrome which is a fungal infection thought to be spread by humans entering the cave.
For an unforgettable view
Jasper Tramway is the longest and highest guided aerial tramway in Canada and the only guided aerial ropeway in the Canadian Rockies. Providing visitors with unprecedented views of six mountain ranges, glacial fed lakes, the Athabasca river (Alberta's longest) and the scenic mountain town-site of Jasper.
Miette Hot Springs
Soak in Miette Hot Pools while taking in the amazing scenery.
You won't soon forget the drive up the wild Fiddle valley to the hottest mineral springs in the Rockies. Flowing from the mountain at 54°C, the water is cooled to a comfortable temperature of 40°C as it enters the pools. The Hot Springs are just right for soaking and relaxing.
Maligne Lake Tours (Boat tours, canoeing and site seeing)
Maligne Lake in Jasper National Park, Canada, is the locale of the world-famous Canadian Rockies landmark: Spirit Island. As the oldest attraction in Jasper National Park, Maligne Lake offers a myriad of visitor tour packages and activities - from fishing to hiking to canoeing.
Horseback trail riding adventures located near Jasper. Scenic trailrides on gentle saddle horses from our riding stables located just east of Jasper National Park, on the north side of Yellowhead highway across from KOA Campground.
Nestled in the foothills of Pyramid Mountain you will find a true western Canadian experience - Pyramid Riding Stables. Horseback riding veterans and first-time cowpokes alike will enjoy our spectacular trail rides and old fashioned hospitality.
- Whitewater Rafting Jasper, Ltd. offers guided river trips, ranging from introductory white water to some of the best commercial white water rafting in Canada's Western Parks.
- Rocky Mountain River Guides have been providing quality, high grade rafting adventures in the Canadian Rockies since 1990. Thousands of visitors to the Jasper area have safely experienced the thrills and magnificent scenery our rivers have to offer with us.
- Jasper Raft Tours offer a river rafting adventure. Their rafting trips are great for young and old alike looking for a more mild adventure.
- Maligne Rafting Adventures Ltd offers an authentic Jasper river rafting adventure.
- Raven Adventures is a small based company that offers a high level of personal service.
Hiking / Canoeing
Wolfland Tours is specialized in individual or small groups guided custom hiking and backpacking tours, guided heli-hiking tours with the option of overnight camping, and guided canoe tours, on the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains in the beautiful foothills, on the border of Jasper National Park.
Other area attractions:
- Explore Jasper National Park
- Play Jasper Park Lodge Golf Course #1 rated course in Alberta, located 6 km's (39 miles)
- Take the Free Pulp Mill / Sawmill Tours
- Take the scenic drive to Cadomin past the coal mines. Stop at the "Hole in the Wall Cafe'"
Brule Ruff Out Rodeo - May 4- 5, 2013 Medicine Lodge Rodeo - May 10-12, 2013 Hinton's Mary Reimer Memorial Rodeo - July 26-28, 2013 Jasper Heritage Rodeo - Aug. 16-19, 2013
Rona MS Bike Tour Sept.7-8, 2013
www.mssociety.ca/alberta This is a MS Society fundraiser bike tour that begins and ends in Hinton. Special Camping rates at Hinton/Jasper KOA for all participants of the tour. Please call the campground for rates and reservations.
Canadian Death Race - August 3-4, 2013
Grande Cache hosts the North Face Canadian Death Race and celebrates with Death Fest weekend.
Fohn Festival - June 29 - July 1, 2013
Celebrate Canada Day with Hinton's Fohn Festival celebrating multiculturalism with food, music, dancing and costumes.