CAMPING WITH KIDS CHECKLIST
CAMPING WITH KIDS CHECKLIST | PACKING ESSENTIALS, WHERE TO CAMP & MORE
There is nothing more rewarding than packing up the car, corralling the kids and heading out for a family-friendly adventure in the great outdoors. Camping with your kids will foster a greater sense of appreciation for nature and the world around them while teaching valuable life and survival skills. It is also the perfect occasion to unplug, unwind and make lasting memories together while exploring new areas and engaging in fun activities.
Here is everything you need to plan the ultimate family-friendly camping retreat.
WHAT TO PACK
As you get ready to pack your bags, consider the following to determine your specific packing needs:
- Where and when you are camping
- The type of lodging you are staying in
- Your planned activities
- How old your children are and their specific needs
- Whether you are bringing along the family pet
- How primitive or accommodating your chosen campground is
Use this camping with kids checklist to guide you through preparations, but feel free to make adjustments as needed.
Be sure to pack these campsite essentials:
- Indoor and outdoor rugs
- Foldable camping chairs
- Decorative outdoor lights
- At least one folding table
- Plastic storage bins or totes to organize supplies
- A compact multi-tool
- Duct tape
- Extra rope
- Plastic tarps and tie-downs
- A small ax or hatchet for firewood
- Firestarter and kindling
- Matches or a lighter
TENT OR RV SUPPLIES
Unless you are camping in a furnished cabin, you will need some of the following equipment to set up camp:
- Blankets, pillows and a sleeping bag
- A sleeping pad, inflatable air mattress or cot
- A camping tent with stakes
- A hammer or mallet
- A tent fan
- A tent heater
- RV parking blocks
- A repair kit for air mattresses and tents
CLOTHES AND SHOES
Plan your outfits according to the season, weather forecast, camping environment and what types of activities you plan to engage in.
Be sure to include:
- Layering pieces: Light layers are suitable for all seasons. Include garments such as thin long-sleeve shirts, thermals, leggings, vests, undershirts and a light jacket.
- Rain gear: Rain gear is essential, no matter the season or destination. Bring an umbrella for each family member, along with portable ponchos, rain jackets, rain boots and water-resistant pants.
- Weather-specific clothing: Pack weather-dependent items, like summer shorts, long pants for hiking and swimwear for warm months. Cold weather essentials include scarves, gloves, neck warmers, thick socks, winter coats and snowsport wear.
- Versatile shoes: Your camping luggage should always include a pair of water-resistant boots, walking shoes and shower shoes. You might also consider snow boots, hiking shoes, flip flops, sandals and night slippers depending on the season.
- Children’s clothing: Camping trips can be a lot of fun, but that fun tends to be messy — bring plenty of outfit changes for your child. You should include a few stretchier pieces, slippers, long-sleeve and short-sleeve shirts and fleece sleepwear for cold destinations.