The surrounding area abounds with many historic Civil War Sites, Antique Shops, Fishing on beautiful Kentucky Lake, Land Between the Lakes (LBL) offers hiking, fishing, & hunting - Visit the historic Homeplace village, Elk & Bison Prairie, The Planetarium, & the Historic Iron Works Furnace.
Serving as an accommodation for riverboat travelers before and after the Civil War. It also was the place where Gen. Buckner and his staff used as their headquarters during the battle. It served as the hospital after the surrender. Much relevant Civil War history happened here. It was here at the Surrender House on Feb. 16, 1862 following a council of war with Brigade Generals Floyd and Pillow, Brigade General Simmon B. Buckner to the confederate defenders of Fort Donelson to Major General U.S. Grant, USA. The two senior confederate generals, having abandoned command escaped Lt. Nathan Bedford Forest, refusing to agree to the surrender, led his calvary regiment and a number of infantry men out of the defense without loosing a man or meeting oppostion.
Fort Donelson is just a short 10 minute drive from the Campground. Make time to plan a visit to this historic Civil War site located on the beautiful Cumberland River, it is also a great place to spot birds, photograph, or have a picnic lunch after walking about the park taking in a little bit if our Nations history.
This farm is part of the Revolutionary War land grant, issued as a land warrant. The owner Mr. Coolant's took possession of the assigned 40 acres on 12/01/1808. The hollow where the Home Place now stands & worked their land holding for the next 10 years.
Farmers were fortunate to be located near the major mode of transportation for that day, the river. They lived between the Cumberland & Tennessee Rivers, this area is known as the four rivers, as it is also between the Ohio & Mississippi. The crossroad has a significant impact on farm life. News & goods usually reached farms within a few weeks, and sending farm raised produce & livestock was convenient.
It is a working history farm. Most of the farm & livestock are historic varieties from the Mid 19th- century.
When you visit you will see the men folk at work with their oxen, harvesting and curing tobacco, repairing a roof and you may even lend a hand at the walking plow or help in the repair of a fence.
This is a trip for the entire family.
The limestone slab furnace is all that is left of THE GREAT WESTERN IRON WORKS. It opened in 1955 & within 34 weeks produced 1,350 tons of iron. The production of 445 tons of iron required 20 bushels of charcoal, 800 pounds of ore, & 80 Lbs. of limestone.
Symbolic of the counties industrial heritage. Before the Civil War, the county was recognized as one of the few industrial areas in the rural south. Stewart County residents built communities around these furnaces, with most of the residence depending on the furnaces for their income .The last iron furnace in the county ended operation in 1927.
The Great Western Furnace, production ended only a year after it started. In 1856 it's owners put it up for sale.
Advertising for sale as, the furnace, 4 yokes of oxen, 12 wagons & gear, 1 set of carpenter tools, 1 set of blacksmiths tools, 2 extra steam engines, & 80 likely and valuable Negro men, experience furnace hands.