Local Area Attractions
Florida Caverns State Park
One of the few state parks with air filled caves and the only state park with public tours. Showing off its dazzling limestone formations, the tour is approximately 45 minutes and considered moderately strenuous. Visitor's center has an audio visual program. This park is located 3 miles north of Marianna on SR 166. 8AM until sundown, daily. Fee is $4.00 per vehicle. 850-482-9598.
Falling Waters State Recreation Area
One of Florida's most notable geological features is the 67 foot waterfall created by a small stream flowing into and out of Falling Waters Sink, a 100-foot deep, 20-foot wide cylindrical pit. An overlook platform provides an excellent view of the waterfall and sink. A small lake provides a refreshing swimming area. Fishing is permitted. Picnic and playground area provided.
Located at: 1130 State Park Road, Chipley 850-482-9598.
Mission San Luis de Apalachee
A Spanish Franciscan mission named San Luis was set up in 1656 on this hilltop, already a principal village of the Apalachee Indians. Until 1704 it served as the capital of a chain of Spanish missions across Northwest Florida. The 60 acre site has self guided or guided (weekend) tours beginning at the visitor's center then through the reconstructed council house, Fort complex, Spanish house and church. This mission is located at 2021 West Mission Road, Tallahassee. Open Tuesday-Sunday, 10:00 AM-4:00PM Closed Thanksgiving and /Christmas. Admission is free. 850-487-3711. No Smoking allowed.
Visit Mission San Luis de Apalachee online for more information.
Things to do in the area
- Museum of Florida History - Learn of Florida's rich history.
- New Capital Building - This building replaced the "old Capital for state government business.
- Alfred B. Maclay State Gardens - Gardens with nature and hiking trails.
- Knott House Museum - Historic home.
- Black Archives Research Center and Museum - History museum.
- Meginnis-Monroe House - Historic antebellum home restored in 1852 that holds the Lemoyne Art Gallery.
- Tallahassee Antique Car Museum - Museum features rare, beautiful and famous cars-like the Batmobile.
Located just one mile from the Interstate, yet we are ultra quiet.
Accommodate units of any size.
Coming - January 2012
Windcreek Casino only 8 miles from the campground! Stay posted for more information and specials!